Effective and Last Updated: January 23, 2021
1. Information We Collect
Information You Provide to Us
We collect the information that you provide to us. For example:
- Through the Site: We collect information when you request any information. This information may include name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and credit card information. We may also collect information such as your volunteer interests.
- Offline: We may collect information from you offline, such as when you speak on the phone with one of our Board Members or volunteers.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you use the Site, we automatically collect information about that activity and your browser or device including:
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies
- Information that has been aggregated in a manner that it no longer reveals your specific identity
We and our service providers may collect this information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and Internet browser type and version. We use this information to ensure that the Site functions properly.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: We may use pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) to, among other things, track the actions of Site users (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about Site use and response rates.
- IP Address: Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Site, along with the time of the visit and the pages visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems, and administering the Site. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may receive information about you from other sources, such as address and email append services.
2. Use of Information We Collect
We and our service providers use the information we collect for legitimate business purposes, including:
Providing our services and fulfilling your requests.
- To respond to your inquiries.
- To process and fulfill your requests and transactions such as to process your payment.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- We may anonymize and/or aggregate personal information so that it can no longer reasonably be used to identify you. We do so to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose.
3. Disclosure of Information We Collect
We share the information we collect as follows:
- To our volunteers and committee members, so they can provide you with information about membership and volunteer opportunities.
- To our service providers that provide services to or on behalf of us, such as payment processing, email delivery, auditing, and other services.
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send a message through the Site.
- By you, when you submit information, photos, or other content that may be viewed by other Site users and the general public.
We may also use and disclose your personal information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable law, which may include laws outside your country of residence, to respond to requests from public and government authorities, which may include authorities outside your country of residence, to cooperate with law enforcement, or for other legal reasons; (b) to enforce our terms and conditions; and (c) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others. In addition, we have a legitimate interest in using, disclosing, or transferring your information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). Such third parties may include, for example, an acquiring entity and its advisors.
4. Third-Party Services
5. Choices and Access
In your request, please make clear what personal information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your personal information suppressed from our database, or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your personal information. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We respond to your request consistent with applicable law, and we will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
6. Retention Period
We will retain the information we collect for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include: (1) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Site or services to you (for example, for as long as you are a member with us or keep using the Site); (2) whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or (3) whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
7. Jurisdiction and Cross-Border Transfer
Your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and, by using the Site, you understand that your personal information will be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies, or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your personal information.
9. Contact Information
Thunder Bay Field Naturalists Club
131 – 1100 Memorial Avenue
Thunder Bay, Ontario